Tuesday 19 August 2014

Pickles story...

By 2012 my little farm was growing.We had ducks,chickens and miniature pigs!
Not to mention the goats were into double figures.
It was a real learning curve.I learnt everything as it happened.
Id dealt with births and deaths.I sold some goats and pigs.That was tough.
I wanted to keep them all but knew I had to be practical.
In early March I was just waiting for Salt to deliver.
Its always an exciting but nervy time....
Everything started out normal.
We did the morning herd and Salt wasnt showing any signs of labour.
When I know a doe is due Im back and forth all day long.It must drive the goats mad!!
When I went out to do the evening herd Salt was in the process of cleaning up a perfect little miniature version of herself. I was so excited !! Every time is like the first time for me!
I let myself in the pen and went over to see if it was a boy or a girl.

She already had my heart.


I picked the newborn up.A girl!!
Then I noticed her front legs.Oh...They were both pretty severely deformed.
I was devastated.Salt was cleaning and talking to her. Being a normal loving mummy.
I was told to let Mother Nature take her course and she would be gone within 48 hours.
It seemed the right thing to do.
The baby was alert and trying to stand up and trying to get to her mums udders.
It was heartbreaking.I couldnt watch and do nothing.
I automatically held her up to the udder and Salt seemed to lower herself so the baby could reach  and she guzzled the milk.

What would  you do?

Well it was a watch and wait time.
We had absolutely no idea what was going to happen.I cuddled her and carried her in my jacket when we went herding.I had no idea how long she would live but I loved her so much already and wanted her to feel loved.
I kept talking to her "well we are in a pickle arent we?you're a little pickle,youre a lovely little pickle",you get the idea...

Pickle at 6 days old.


Six days later she was still here.So content and happy, rarely cried and was beautiful.
I was still referring to her as a little Pickle so decided to call her that.
We checked her legs out.there were too many bends and twists to even think about splints.
Unless majory surgery was involved.And i couldnt even see that working.
Pickle was mobile and getting around.Usually on her elbows but sometimes on her hind legs!!

My little "Kangagoat"

If I was carrying Pickle, Salt would keep running back and forth checking.When they were back at the pens Salt rarely left her,she loved her too!
Salt was coping and feeding her by herself.
I watched as Salt would lower herself so Pickle could reach.
It was at this point I realised they were just dealing with it and they were winning.
So if they were going to fight against the odds,then i was going to do whatever I could to help.
But little did I know this was just the beginning of Pickle s story!!

2 comments:

  1. An amazing story of love and determination .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Salt is such a loving mum! Do they still get along well?

    ReplyDelete