Sunday 27 July 2014

A Goat Herder?

When things settled with Mummy and Baby (the names had stuck by then!!) I decided maybe it was time to get a billy.A friend said he had one that was surplus to requirements.
So Big Bill came to live with us...
And he was BIG!! He was friendly and we hit it off straight away.
I loved it because he loved fussing and scratches.
He would lean on me and rest his head on me,he was a character !!
He was in with Mummy and Baby and I let nature take its course.
About 5 months later Mummy gave birth to Sherbert  (Sherbert because she was sweet with a little kick to her)
It was amazing.I watched this awesome little scrap of life come into the world.
I watched Mummy clean her up and a little fluffy doe emerged.
So cute and tiny and she instinctively started nursing.
Within a couple of days she was skipping and jumping all over me!! So friendly and sweet.
Up till this point they had been in the pens all the time as I was terrified they would run away.
I was unhappy about it so I thought Id just let the 4 of them out.It was so calm and satisfying watching the older ones graze and Sherbert skipped about and played so happily.Luckily they were as unsure as I was and just stayed around the pen.
Over the next few days we all got a bit braver and moved further from the pen,because Mummy was unsure of me it was easy to steer her back in and the others just followed!
As we have 7 hectares of land it seemed a good idea to start grazing them everyday.
And so slowly but surely a Goat Herder was born!!!





3 comments:

  1. I love the way this story of you and goat herding evolved to what it is now .

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your writing style!

    ReplyDelete