Wednesday 23 July 2014

A Goat Life.

So how did the whole farming thing come about?
We have a local shepherd graze his herd on our land and the payment for this is a goat or a sheep once a year.
I had visions of him rocking up with a whole  dead  animal.Which really held no appeal.
So i panicked and said "A live one,definitely a live one"
He turned up with Mummy hog tied in the footwell of his moped and just flipped her off...
And her daughter swinging from the handlebars in a sack...
I said thank you politely and watched him drive away.I needed to check them I was so curious I'd never dealt with a goat before apart from petting zoos.
On the mummys back was an open wound bigger than the palm of my hand.It wasnt pretty and was weeping badly.She was terrified.It was heartbreaking.We managed to get her in the pen but she was freaking out.The baby was so scared too.theyd obviously never been handled,just part of a big herd.
They were both pretty scrawny too.
We managed to sort antibiotics for Mummy.We wormed them both.
I would sit in the pen for hours fascinated and letting these beautiful creatures creep into my heart.

They loved the bedding.They loved the food.They started to relax and started to put on weight.
Mummys back healed up.They still didnt trust me but that was fine Id already fallen hook, line and sinker.
I didnt have a plan at this point.Just couldnt believe I had goats!!
 So thats how it all began.At this point in time i have 20,but there have been about 40 pass through here.They've become a passion (or obsession) and I love everyone.
I havent forgotten any of them..
I dream of having a rescue for goats one day.For unwanted and special need goats.
In a way they saved me,so I owe them :)


3 comments:

  1. Talk about baptism by fire - and you've made a most lovely home for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In at the deep end no time to think about it is the best way .

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great story, really enjoyed it...
    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete