Saturday 23 August 2014

Liberating Pickle

As everybody knows skipping and jumping is what baby goats do.
Its instinct,its natural and wow is it cute!
Pickle was no exception.She wanted to kick up her heels and ping about too.
I would stand over her and clasp my hands underneath her chest,holding her up.
Pickle skipped and jumped.For ages....
Every day I would do this and she loved it.But she was growing and I felt like I  was
 restricting her.
Pickle wanted to jump more but I couldnt hold her for long periods.
Time to get my brain in gear..
I thought of baby reins or a dog harness and attatching it to elastic and suspending
 it from a tree!! Like one of those baby bouncers or jumping jacks...
Woohoo success!!
Pickle absolutely loved it.I was so happy I was crying with laughter!!
I wasnt completely happy with  the harness though.
It didnt sit right and seemed to cut into her armpits.Not that she complained she
was too busy pinging around !!
I tried padding but she was so mobile I couldnt get anything to stay put.
I spoke to my mum about it and mum went on a mission.(mum loves a mission!)
Mum contacted a dog seat belt harness company and took Pickles measurements.
It wasnt long before a wonderful package arrived!!
The harness was padded, soft, fleecy with easy clips!! And a hook on the back to attatch it to the elastic.
It was fabulous.It looked so much more comfortable.
Then we had a new problem . like you do!!
As Pickle was growing the elastic wasnt elastic anymore!
Up steps mum again!!
Mum went to a shop in her local town that deals with army supplies and explained that we needed
some extra strength bungee elastic.They were amazing and didnt bat an eyelid when mum told them it was for a goat!! People are amazing and truly want to help.
They donated a whole roll of extra strength bungee elastic! I now have  enough  to make swings for all my goats! Wouldnt that be a sight for people driving by?
 20 goats all bouncing from trees.The neighbours think I'm nuts as it is lolol.
So I would like to say a huge thank you to Major Bananas of Bournemouth for their wonderful donation.
And a huge thank you to my mum for completing her mission and "Liberating Pickle"
Thank you for everything.
The harness has proved invaluable.It helps exercise different muscles and improves her digestion and im hoping it slows down any more curvature of her spine.Plus its a great help when I have to trim Pickles front hooves as they dont get worn down.
And lastly i would just like to mention Pickle has a favourite tree! She will not come near me if I try to get her in another one! But if i pick up her harness and go to her favourite tree she scoots over pretty fast! Oh and we are also in the process of hooking up a pulley system so I can hoist her up easily! Exciting times!!
Happy days :)

1 comment:

  1. It was my pleasure to come up with a solution . Pickle is a delight to see in her harness .

    ReplyDelete